Cmake failed when installing Xgb with GPU as R package on Windows 10

Hi, I have once successfully installed xgboost with GPU support as R package for R 3.6.2, but when I attempted to install it on R 4.0.2, I failed when running the command
cmake --build . --target install --config Release

The very first error I encountered was
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v10.2\include\thrust/detail/type_traits.h(436): error : incomplete t
ype is not allowed [E:\pers_plan\ubc\research\tools\softwares\xgboost\build\src\objxgboost.vcxproj]

I’m installing it on Windows 10 with CUDA 10.2 Compute_ver 75. The build step was run successfully.
Is there anything I could do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Do you have a supported version of Visual Studio? CUDA doc lists the versions of Visual Studio that are compatible with CUDA 10.2.

Hi, thanks for your reply! I certainly do as I have Visual Studio 16 2019 installed.

Just noticed that during the build, there was a single line that says:
“Could NOT find Backtrace (missing: Backtrace_LIBRARY Backtrace_INCLUDE_DIR)”. However, the overall status was “done”. Does this have any relevance to the issue, I wonder?

It’s not just you ! I have the same issue. Did you ever get past it ?

I had trouble building xgboost with GPU support, and found this c++ - pow is not working properly inside a device function in CUDA - Stack Overflow.

I uninstalled Visual Studio 16.8.whatever and installed 16.7.9. Build was successful. I think 16.8 is MSVC version 1928 which fits the 192x requirement, but did not work.