How can I manually fit a single tree with a customized cost function ( from pytorch) and then update the model trees in xgboost?

Hello,

I am working this paper : Multi-Label Learning to Rank through Multi-Objective
Optimization

The algorithm is to used an customized gradient “lambda” from multiple cost functions (c_1, c_2, …c_K) in the xgboost training process.

Within the algorithm mentioned in the paper, I need to fit the t-th tree using the data ( see equation (3) below) where the label is constructed with the new gradients “lambda”. image

My question here is:

When I use Pytorch to build a customized cost function as well as its gradient, how can I use xgboost package to

• fit a single tree with the new data (i.e. the set of (feature, residual) pairs )
  • update the model by adding the newly fitted tree in xgboost package.

Thank you here for your help.

Best,
Zongjun

Have you looked into custom objective?

Hello Jiamingy, thanks for replying. I have looked into customized objective function. I will need to define a gradiend and a hessian as output of the customized loss function.

Here, I can get the gradient using pytorch auto-gradient functionality, but what I still need is to use the gradient to update the existing trees in the xgboost package. I need to construct a tree as a functional proxy to fit the residuals data $D_{T_\theta^t}$. Because there is a sub-optimization algorithm used to balance the gradients in each tree step construction, so I need to control how xgboost fits trees step by step.

In short, I want to know

• how to do a one step tree fitting in Xgboost with a given data ( given the residual values from the loss after N steps of tree fitting )
  • how to append the new fitted tree to the previous N trees and then use these N+1 trees to compute the new residual .

Many thanks.